DEVELOPMENT 

Sunnydale’s revitalization is occurring in phased construction of new housing and neighborhood amenities over time. Each building has been specifically designed to support a vibrant and connected community with safe homes and thoughtful amenities. Residents have been actively involved to help ensure homes are built to support a welcoming and healthy environment. 

 

Casala.jpg

Casala (Previously known as Parcel Q)

1491 Sunnydale Avenue

The first constructed apartment building as part of Sunnydale HOPE SF, Casala features 55 affordable apartment homes. 75% of the apartments are set aside for current Sunnydale households, and the remaining 25% are affordable to households earning up to 60% of area median income. Casala was fully leased as of February 2020.  

 

Apartment types: 

  • 3 studios 

  • 19 one-bedrooms 

  • 19 two-bedrooms 

  • 14 three-bedrooms 

 

Shared amenities include: 

  • Community room 

  • Courtyard 

  • Laundry rooms on each floor 

  • On-site parking 

  • Bicycle storage 

  • On-site management office 

 

 

Block 6 Rendering.jpg

290 Malosi (Block 6)

290 Malosi Street

290 Malosi is Sunnydale HOPE SF’s second apartment building. Like Casala, 75% of 290 Malosi’s 167 apartments  are set aside for current Sunnydale households, and the remaining 25% are affordable to households up to 60% of area median income. Construction began December 2019, and lease-up is happening now. Click here to learn more.    

 

Apartment types: 

  • 21 one-bedrooms 

  • 95 two-bedrooms 

  • 40 three-bedrooms 

  • 11 four-bedrooms 

 

Shared amenities include: 

  • Community room 

  • Interior facing courtyards 

  • Laundry rooms on each floor 

  • On-site parking 

  • Bicycle storage 

  • On-site management office 

 

Community Center Rendering.jpg

Community Center (Block 1)

Northwest Corner of Sunnydale Avenue and Hahn Street

The Community Center will be a major component of The Hub, the heart of the revitalized Sunnydale community. Located on the northwest corner of Sunnydale Avenue and Hahn Street, the Community Center will be comprised of a 30,000 square foot building and open space, including:

  • Neighborhood Community space with event/gathering and multi-purpose rooms  

  • Boys and Girls Club serving 125—150 children  

  • Wu Yee Children’s Services and Education Center serving 81 children  

  • Outdoor playgrounds 

  • Open space plaza on the west side of the Community Center that will welcome visitors to the new Herz Park Recreation Center/Gym 

 

Construction is anticipated to begin Spring 2022, and its grand opening is anticipated Fall 2023.  The Community Center’s design is in process. Please check out our updates page to learn about upcoming events and meetings.

Find out more at BuildTheHub.org

RecCenter.png
Block3Rendering.jpg

Block 3A & 3B

1500 Block of Sunnydale Avenue

Located on the southwest corner of Sunnydale Avenue and Hahn Street, Block 3A & Block 3B are Sunnydale HOPE SF’s third and fourth affordable developments. Block 3A & Block 3B comprise two apartment buildings with an active ground floor featuring neighborhood-serving retail, an early childhood education center, a wellness center, and a customer service center for residents.  Construction is expected to start Spring 2022 and lease-up will begin in 2024. Please check out our updates page to learn about upcoming events and meetings. There will be 170 affordable apartments including studio, one-, two-, three-, and four-bedroom apartments.  

 

Shared amenities include: 

  • Second-story resident-only courtyard 

  • Laundry rooms on each floor 

  • On-site parking 

  • Bicycle storage 

  • On-site management office 

 

 

Herz Recreation Center

1700 Vistacion Avenue

A new recreation center will be constructed in Herz Park and owned and operated by the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department.  The recreation center will be approximately 11,500 square feet and include an indoor gymnasium for basketball and other sports, bleachers, and a multi-purpose room.  The outdoor space will include community gathering spaces for recreation and events.  New pathways will connect the Herz Recreation Center with the new Community Center, Coffman Pool, and the playground, clubhouse and ballfield at Herz Park.

For more information, please visit the Recreation and Parks Department’s page for Herz Recreation Center.

Block 8.jpg

Block 5 

200 Block of Hahn Street

Block 8 

500 Block of Sunrise Way

Block 5 and Block 8 are Sunnydale HOPE SF’s first two market rate parcels. A developer will be selected to design and construct the market-rate units after the completion of Block 6. Block 5 is entitled for up to 20 for-sale/rental condominium or townhome units. Block 8 is a 2.11 acre for-sale/rental opportunity.